I just want to start off by saying that I almost forgot to take these photographs, because I was so tempted to just dig in. It’s sooooo yummy!!!
After moving to the south I found a new love for BBQ chicken. I mean, I have always liked BBQ chicken, but here in the south BBQ chicken is taken to a whole different level… and you would have to be crazy not to love it.This recipe uses ingredients that most people have in their kitchen already. I love having the ingredients on hand, so I can easily whip it up when I don’t have dinner planned. Don’t fret if you are not a good cook, this recipe is hard to mess up. Its almost foolproof.
Living in Georgia, I surprisingly found it hard to find a BBQ sauce that I actually liked from the grocery store. Anytime I bought BBQ sauce, I found myself adding other ingredients to the sauce to get it to taste better. Well…after cooking this recipe I will never buy BBQ sauce again. This homemade sauce is literally finger licking perfect.
A homemade BBQ sauce that will bring everyone to the table.
- 4.5 lbs of chicken legs ( you can use thighs or wings as well )
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 6 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of mustard
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rinse chicken and place in a baking dish lined with foil paper.
- Season both sides of the chicken with lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, water, butter, chilli powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, mustard, salt and worcestershire sauce. Stir. Put bowl of sauce in microwave to melt the butter if needed.
- Stir sauce again, and apply generously to both sides of chicken with a brush.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, brushing the chicken with the sauce every 15 minutes.
- Put the oven on broil for the last 2 minutes of cook time ( watch it carefully once you put it on broil, cause it can easily burn).
- Your finished!
Adapted from: divascancook