Doesn’t this sound awesome? I have put some of the best superfoods in this recipe, and I even added a little bit of highly nutritious cacao powder, but don’t fret, you won’t be eating chocolate chilli. I have become obsessed with cacao powder and all of its health benefits, so I try to add it where I can. After I created this recipe I was going to name it superfood slow cooker, because of the quinoa, kale, and sweet potato – which also can be made into a great vegetarian dish, if you minus the chicken, and substitute the chicken stock for vegetable stock… it was yummy either way!
I’m finally back from my long holiday vacation, and it feels good to be home again doing what I love. It was nice to see all my family and friends in Canada, but I never ate so horribly since I was 14…I blame the poutine! Poutine is everywhere in Canada, and its soooooo hard to resist. Oh, and I think I ate pizza like 5 times while I was there, don’t judge. I felt awful when I returned home.
After eating all that junk food, I decided that I needed to cook something healthy and perfect for these cold winter nights. I had quinoa, kale, and sweet potato on hand, and I decided to turn it into a chilli. Who doesn’t love chilli on a cold winter night? It’s my comfort food during the winter, and this chilli has a little bit of everything, I mean you can’t go wrong. Sweet potato, quinoa, kale, black beans, and chicken… all you really need is one superfood, but I thought I needed three after eating so terribly. 🙂
The cheese is the topping on the cake in this recipe. I tried avoiding the cheese, but when I added the cheese, OMG! It was sooo tasty! Then I added a dollop of sour cream, and it was perfect! I made this dish a few nights ago, and I’m still eating it today, as this recipe makes enough to feed a village. It’s excellent for large families, and makes great left overs, because it tasted even better the second night!
- 1.5 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast, washed and cut into bite size pieces ( skip if vegetarian)
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed ( 2 cups cubed)
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
- 1 can of organic black beans
- 1 can of organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 32 oz (2lbs) of unsalted chicken stock (use vegetable stock if vegetarian)
- 1 tbsp. 100% raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups of kale, chopped and tightly packed
- shredded cheddar cheese, for topping when finished
- sour cream, topping (optional)
- Put the first 17 ingredients into a large crock-pot, and set crock-pot to high. Cook for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add kale to crock-pot 15 minutes before serving.
- When finished, serve in a bowl topped with a good amount of cheddar cheese. Let bowl stand for 5 minutes before serving to let cheese melt.
- Add a dollop of sour cream (optional).