I was pregnant when I first made this pasta, and my taste buds were all out of whack. I couldn’t keep any food down until I made this recipe. This has become my absolute favorite pasta to make, its spicy, sweet, and flavorful. Simple ingredients, yet such a bold tasting pasta.
I’m a shrimp lover. I love almost any recipe that has shrimp in it, especially a shrimp pasta. This dish has a spicy kick to it, if you don’t like the heat, I would skip on adding the extra crushed red pepper flakes at the end. A little goes a long way!
You only need to marinade the shrimp for 30 minutes, but if you want you can marinade it overnight. I would imagine it would only taste better the longer it sits in the marinade. I usually only leave it in the marinade for 30 minutes, because I normally plan dinner last minute. Its a perfect dish to plan last minute…quick and simple!
You can thank me later, enjoy!
A shrimp parmesan pasta with a kick!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups of uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 12 oz of medium uncooked shrimp (peeled)
- 1 green onion (thinly chopped to desired amount)
- salt and pepper to taste
- more crushed red pepper flakes to taste ( if you don't like it too spicy, skip this part)
- more grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- Whisk together olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, crushed red pepper, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Add shrimp to the marinade and coat well.
- Transfer all ingredients to a Ziploc bag and marinade in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package.
- In the meantime, cook shrimp in large skillet over medium to high heat for about about 2-3 minutes, or until pink. Make sure to add all the marinade to the skillet as well, and be careful not to burn or overcook.
- Add cooked pasta to skillet and coat evenly in marinade with shrimp. Season with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and more Parmesan cheese to taste. Stir well. Garnish with green onions and toss together. Serve while still hot!
Adapted from: howsweeteats